Snow gloves are designed to keep your hands warm and dry while skiing, snowboarding or just spending time in the snow. Snow gloves vary depending on their outer material, insulation/warmth, waterproofing/breathability, and overall dexterity. While most mid to high-end gloves utilise a Gore-Tex waterproof membrane, a key consideration is what the gloves are made from; Leather, a synthetic material such as polyester, or a combination of both.
- LEATHER: Leather is a natural material that is often used in the manufacturing of high-quality snow gloves. Leather is an excellent insulator, which means that it is very effective at trapping heat and keeping your hands warm. Leather gloves are often more durable and long-lasting than synthetic gloves. They can be more resistant to wear and tear, and they are often designed to be more resistant to abrasions and punctures. They will mould to the shape of your hand over time, making them more comfortable.
- SYNTHETIC: Synthetic materials, such as nylon and polyester, are commonly used in the manufacturing of snow gloves of all price-points. Compared to leather, they are quick-drying, however they usually aren’t as warm, durable, or long-lasting.
- HYBRID: Some gloves are made primarily from synthetic materials for its light weight, low cost and waterproofing properties but add leather to specific areas that require greater durability and waterproofing such as the palm or knuckles.
- INSULATION: Refers to the material that is used to provide warmth and insulation against the cold weather. Insulation is designed to trap body heat inside the gloves and keep your hands warm in cold temperatures. The amount of insulation in snow gloves is measured in grams per square meter, and gloves with higher insulation levels will typically be warmer but also heavier. The ideal amount of insulation will depend on the activity level, temperature, and personal preference. There are different kinds of insulation such as synthetic and down. Nearly all snow gloves use synthetic insulation made from man-made fibres such as polyester as they retain heat while wet and cost less compared to natural down insulation.
- GORE-TEX: Gore-Tex is a high-performance fabric technology that is commonly used in snow gloves valued over $100. It is a waterproof and breathable fabric that is designed to provide protection from the elements while still allowing moisture vapor to escape. The Gore-Tex membrane is made up of microscopic pores that are much smaller than water droplets, but larger than water vapor molecules. This means that water is not able to penetrate the membrane from the outside, but sweat and other moisture vapor can escape from the inside, keeping the wearer dry and comfortable. In addition to its waterproof and breathable properties, Gore-Tex is also windproof, which helps to provide extra protection from the elements.